Thursday, 27 August 2026

ANNalog at ACS Fall 2026 Chicago

Earlier this week, I presented on Wei Dei's work on ANNalog at ACS Fall 2026 in Chicago. ANNalog is a generative model that takes an input SMILES string and generates MedChem-similar molecules.


Among other things, I covered how we tweak the training set to encourage stereo to be retained, why training on aligned SMILES is important, and why we don't canonicalise the input.

I ended with some practical tips: 

  • Changes tend to occur on the RHS of the generated SMILES
    • It follows that by presenting the input SMILES string in different ways, the user can selectively focus ANNalog’s attention on different parts of the molecule
    • If changes should be distributed evenly, an option “-e variants” generates random SMILES variants and pools the results
  • ANNalog allows the user to supply a fixed SMILES prefix to ensure that a particular portion of the molecule is unchanged
  • Sampling can be used to create more diverse output; 
    • Feeding the result through more than once can increase diversity further (see option “-e recursive”)
  • Not everything is gold

No comments: