Friday 12 September 2008

Ubiquity - it's everywhere!

So I disappear for a month and when I come back everyone has dropped Greasemonkey like a hot potato (mmmmm...potatoes) and adopted Ubiquity (watch the video on that page to get an idea of what it's about). So here are a couple of Ubiquity scripts of mine which translate from DOI to ACS or RSC formatted reference.

If you install the Ubiquity extension for Firefox (use the link above), select a DOI on any page, hit the magic key (CTRL + SPACE for windows), and type one of "doi2acs", "doi2ACS", "doi2rsc" or "doi2RSC", you can get the ACS or RSC formatted reference with or without the title. This could be useful when putting together the references for a paper or so.

Comments welcome as these are my first scripts...

2 comments:

Rajarshi said...

I tried using it but after I select a DOI string, the preview just shows 'Looking up DOI...' and hitting enter doesn't insertanything into a doc (such as GMail)

Noel O'Boyle said...

I think it's a bit tempermental. Hit space and then delete (to 'reload'), and see if it works. I just tried it on 10.1021/ci8001414 and it worked the first time, but not the second. I can probably make it a bit more robust on the back end.